Medic Space Setup[edit | edit source]
Some considerations for medic spaces (e.g., at protest camps or convergence centers).[edit | edit source]
Running water point
Separate chemical toilet for patients with diarrhea/vomiting, to prevent contamination of facilities
Screened-off area for treatment
Resting space or sleeping space for patients for recovery and monitoring
Communications on site and with other support organizations
Agreement and arrangements for obtaining official medical help or ambulance on site if needed
Transport contacts, for site or private taxis, for evacuating patients without requiring an ambulance
Contact list/arrangements for available backup medics, possibly including some competency information (e.g., CPR skills)
A roster, including backup medic teams, in attendance or on call
- agree the remits of the primary and backup medic teams
Organized kit, including clinical waste bin
Liaise with site well being teams
Refreshments (for patients)
A kettle to heat water, and for tea
Open 24 hours, medics sleep in the medic space, or provide a contact (e.g., a telephone number on the door out of hours)
Provide a basic "help yourself" box with sunblock, tweezers, plasters, etc., at the medic space, or kits in areas or barrios.
Have a portable first aid kit for medics attending patients away from the medic space.
Life saving first aid equipment available (e.g. face masks for resuscitation).
A "media free" space. This can be designated with signs and a way to partially rope off the area.
A smoke-free radius around the space. This can be designated with signs and a way to partially rope off the area.
Agreed team protocol, e.g.:
- agreed remit for the medic team
- using "buddy" system
- how to handle disagreements between medics during treatment
- avoiding hanging out in and crowding the medic space
- patient confidentiality
- how often to have team meetings and debriefing (e.g. daily).
Agree on record keeping
- Can be used for evidence as well as logging cases
- Liaise with site legal teams
- Can use designated names
- Consider secure disposal or hiding place in case of raid
Public health considerations
- Track down source(s) of spreading illnesses, consider evacuating offsite or quarantine area
Further resources[edit | edit source]